Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chewy Chocolate-Raspberry Cookies

In the summers of my childhood, I always wanted to be that kid who first immersed themselves in the pool by taking a running leap, knees tucked up, small tsunami ensuing. Instead, I was the dork at the shallow end, gingerly dipping my toes in to see if it was too cold. Old habits die hard, even on the path to becoming a vegan rockstar.

Vegan baking isnt foreign to me. Its my ol' reliable for potlucks and punk rock food stalls. I whip up a mean brownie, ask anyone. However I have never made cookies. Why not start now? It seemed easy, all the ingredients were familiar and since my workmates were craving them I figured they could be my first victims.

This recipe called for raspberry preserves. Is that the same as jam? The fact that I dont know is not promising. I scoured the lables in the jam aisle til I found one that said preserves, even though it looked no different to the conserves. Smushed it together with sugar, flour, canola oil, vanilla essence, almond essence, baking powder and cocoa til I had an oily brown blob. Mmmm appetising.
The authors dictated to roll the dough into "walnut sized balls". I let myself believe that in the modern age of genetic engineering, walnuts are now the size of ping pong balls. Into the oven for ten minutes. Wait, ten minutes? Seriously? Awesome! Except when I pulled them out after the allotted time, they were still so soft that when I pressed a finger into one it sank straight to the wax paper. This couldnt be right! So I put it back in for another couple of minutes and then set them to cool. Here is my first mistake. Follow the recipe Lauren, it knows better than you. So my cookies were a little hard. The bigger ones still had a lovely chewy centre but the unfortunate runts could have cut diamonds.

Here is a photo. Aint they purty!


Choc Raspberry Cookies


The verdict from my workmates was positive. But I think they may be trying to spare my feelings. I cant taste the raspberry at all, and the cocoa I used makes it taste a little.. bitter? In terms of palate sophistication, mine is Miley Cyrus. Dont expect any poetic flavour descriptions. Or coherent sentences. Its either "delicious" or I'm busy scouring my tongue.
But there you have it - my first Veganomicon recipe down!

No comments:

Post a Comment